Wednesday, March 28, 2018

The Webinar Experience and Library Land Influencers

One of the main things I learned from our overview of webinars last week was that there are many things that can go wrong in a webinar! There are the myriad technical issues, such as the BlueJeans fiasco in class where PowerPoint would not sync with our screens and we would be redirected out of the session. As other classmates mentioned in their webinar watching experiences, sometimes the presentations would just be bad. The presenters misrepresent their content or they do not include images to capture attention, for example. In my opinion, most of these issues can be overcome by repeated practice, knowing the needs of your audience, and embedded expertise on the subject at hand. I guess I will know for sure during our webinars next week!
Speaking of our webinar project, I am happy I have a partner instead of doing it alone. Taking turns moderating and presenting is not only a relief in terms of handling responsibility, but it also gives you better vantage points of how webinars are conducted and how they serve their audience. If I was presenting the whole time, I might be unaware of an extensive conversation in the chat box, meaning I could be missing out on the questions my audience has or the key points of the presentation that capture their interest the most. Shutting yourself off to any one part of this webinar instructional experience does a disservice to your own professional development, as either experience of presenter or moderator informs how your instruction adapts and evolves for future teaching.
For this week, we were tasked with finding social media influencers in Library Land and identify whether they have a professional presence on at least two platforms.  Fortunately, I found this task to be quite easy due to my creepy, yet ingenious, networking habit of logging people I meet at conferences or internships into a spreadsheet. I picked around five people from this spreadsheet and found some of the social media platforms they use to share their professional knowledge. Twitter, no surprise, was the most common platform that these influencers used to talk about librarianship or user experience research. LinkedIn was also a common platform, but I do not find it useful in the sense of learning professional expertise because LinkedIn is more of a platform where the point is to be on it rather than generate meaningful content, much like Facebook. I think what surprised me was seeing how many of these influencers connected to their Pinterest pages, which not only documented Library Land fascinations but also their own personal hobbies or pop culture obsessions. I am not sure how powerful Pinterest is as a networking tool, but it does nicely blend the personal and the professional in a tasteful way. It made me wonder how these influencers portray themselves depending on the platform and whether a following on a certain platform leads to more opportunities than others. Overall, I would say this exercise helped me understand how influence can be defined and re-defined on different platforms as well as reiterate how vital a social media presence is in order to stay professionally relevant within our respective occupations.

5 comments:

  1. Ok so I apparently did this post very differently than everyone else! Although I did not specifically profile them, here are the librarians and UX researchers I was referencing in my post: https://goo.gl/GCcTLk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, so I talked the big talk about how presenting via Webinar seemed like it would be easier than in person - I believe the presenting part to still be true for me personally, but as far as all of the logistics you have to also be managing? Wow! So many steps to keep track of. Definitely agree that it was helpful to have a partner.

    I also found that Twitter was the easiest place to find librarians! I chuckled at your "creepy, yet ingenious, networking habit of logging people I meet at conferences... into a spreadsheet". That IS a great idea... I just had to go searching twitter with keywords of the type of person I'd be interested in following and hope that they also had a blog. It worked like 90% of the time!

    I didn't notice anyone that connected to Pinterest, so I find that interesting. I hadn't really thought of using that professional because it is usually so personal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the logistics by themselves would make presenting a webinar alone so daunting! I think another aspect is that so many things are outside your control: technology functionality, progress of the chat, external noise, etc. I still feel like I have a better sense of my environment in a physical classroom, but hopefully this unease with the unpredictability of webinars will subside with practice!

      Haha the keyword search is a good strategy too! I feel I should do more of this serendipitous searching so I can find professionals I never thought I would otherwise!

      I think the whole concept of personal vs. professional social media to be fascinaitng in and of itself. I have separate twitters so I can have more freedom on my personal account and more a more library focus on my professional account. Yet, some social media sites, like Pinterest, seem more adept at being personal sites rather than professional ones. That might have to do with the culture of the platform, but I would be interested if the UX/UI plays a part as well.

      Delete
  3. After reading some of the blog posts for social media influences, I am blown away by how active the library field is online. I had a hard time finding influencers in the field of social computing, and social media is what they study! Anyway, Twitter seems like an obvious place to find people, but Pinterest was a surprise. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagine that it is used as a place to hold media they might want to use or share at another point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This isn't the first blog post I've read that pointed out the popularity of Twitter amongst librarians, but this is the first time I'm reading about Pinterest as a potential networking tool. I made a Pinterest account several years ago and promptly abandoned it, but based on what little I know about the website, there doesn't seem to much opportunity for meaningful engagement and interaction with other users. I can definitely see how librarians can benefit from following each other on Pinterest and getting ideas and inspiration from each other, but I don't remember any way to further discuss what someone has "pinned". I could be completely wrong, however.

    ReplyDelete