Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Expertise in Any Format


I had a lot of fun doing the one-shot workshops last week! Being both a facilitator and a participant in workshops are really different roles that give you interesting perspectives as to how to craft a workshop that really gets you to learn something. As a facilitator, I faced challenges with wanting to specifically convey how mine and Nicco’s topic of algorithmic accountability in government related to our previous discussions in class, but I also had to account for the limited amount of time that we had for all the components of our workshop. As a participant, I just had to go with the flow and throw myself into the activities and questions that the facilitators asked of us. Seeing both sides allowed me to conclude what I liked and didn’t like in workshops.
First, I really like interactivity and most participants seem to like that as well. In our evaluations, participants were grateful that we had an activity outside the classroom that created more opportunities to participate in the greater discussion. Second, I don’t like being lectured at during most of a workshop, and participants sent feedback that our workshop introduction was too long and we should have left more time for discussion. I felt the same way with other workshops where I was a participant, as I would have preferred to talk about the issues with a partner rather than hear numerous lecture slides about a topic. Third, I don’t like being thrown into discussion situations where I have to act as an expert to a topic I just learned about. I saw this play out in a few workshops in my group and it seemed to be a result of not thinking through how participants would be feeling at a certain stage in the workshop. Overall, I think the one-shot workshop can only be done well when you have the dual perspective of the facilitator and the participant in mind at all times. It’s not only important to consider “how can I convey all this in a short amount of time?” but also “how will my participants think about this topic by the end of my teaching?”
This week, each of us was tasked with watching a live or archived webinar among a wide range of information topics. I decided to go with a webinar on makerspaces from last year because I always got these email notifications from American Libraries about their webinars, so I wanted to try one of them on a topic I was interested in. The webinar itself was a panel discussion about the strengths and challenges of implementing makerspaces in libraries, which is a hot topic that generated a lot of questions and side conversations in their provided chat box. I ended up really liking the format because I had the option of listening to the expertise of the panel and taking notes or poring through the chat discussion and seeing how other librarians thought of this topic. One of my big takeaways was that webinars can be a little chaotic because you do not always have control of where a conversation is going. The chat could be having an entirely separate discussion from your presentation. And if you have a panel discussion, it can be difficult to facilitate expert contributions in a way that works with your initial framing of the conversation. It’s precisely different from a one-shot workshop because the virtual space complicates who the focal point is for your audience. Regardless, I think a good webinar depends on focusing on an intriguing idea that captures your audience’s attention and provides a shared experience of knowledge where expertise is openly accessed by all.
I think no matter the format of learning, great takeaways can be achieved if the instructor has that expertise to drive thoughtful pedagogy. As the examples from How People Learn demonstrate, teachers are not good teachers simply because they excel at a certain method, but because they “have a deep understanding of the structure and epistemologies of their disciplines, combined with knowledge of the kinds of teaching activities that will help students come to understand the discipline for themselves.” [1] As it is for other professions, if librarians do not understand the principles and trends that underlie conversations about algorithms or makerspaces, they will not be as effective with their teaching no matter the methods they employ. Whether that is information literacy principles or theories of transfer, librarians need those theories in order to craft effective practice.  

--
[1] How People Learn, p. 163.

6 comments:

  1. I felt a tension between two of the themes you raise here regarding workshop structure: on the one hand, I like to have some time to discuss/participate rather than passively receive a lecture but at the same time it can be hard to have productive discussion absent some substantial, externally provided framing/grounding. When expertise is wrongly assumed, or when the framing is glossed over or rushed, it makes it really difficult to justify allocating time to discussion. Some of this comes down to being clear-eyed about how much depth you can go into in a scant twenty minutes (or any given time period).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your comment about capitalizing of participant needs is extremely thoughtful, but, also hard to ascertain ahead of time. While I can understand being uncomfortable by being expected to take on an expert role, some learners like those types of challenges. Do you have suggestions on how best to keep a participant in mind with the myriad of different learning styles we are sure to encounter in a workshop, or any instructional setting? Would you suggest having multiple plans and trying to read the participants to best tailor a workshop's engagement and impact?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it all goes back to the goals of your workshop and what learning outcomes you want participants to have. If you want your message to get across as widely as possible, then create activities that accommodate different learning styles. If you want to challenge your participants by having them assume the role of the expert, be upfront about that. I would rather have someone leave a workshop because they realized it doesn't fit what they are looking for rather than having them stay and waste their time. Because we are in such a limited time-frame, I can only worry about those overall workshop goals and not the overall longtime learning of an individual.

      Delete
  3. "As it is for other professions, if librarians do not understand the principles and trends that underlie conversations about algorithms or makerspaces, they will not be as effective with their teaching no matter the methods they employ. " I think this underscores how difficult it can be to build up a critical community engagement with technology. What is the right balance to strike between teaching technical skills and engaging with them meaningfully? I know this is an issue with K-12 educators teaching coding in the classroom (do educators have enough domain knowledge to do this effectively? And is there time for critical engagement or just an assumption that learning to write code automatically leads to Empowerment?) Our various experiences with workshops, webinars, screencasts, etc. in this course has convinced me we can make a lot of headway with these tensions if we frame the learning interventions deliberately -- but we also need buy-in on an institutional level. (I feel like I'm just endlessly repeating the Critical Data mantra because, to my mind, it's the best way to take on this challenge and communicate its goals). I appreciate you pulling this idea out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Overall, I think the one-shot workshop can only be done well when you have the dual perspective of the facilitator and the participant in mind at all times."

    You bring up a very important point here. In my own planning for the one-shot workshop, I was more concerned with efficiency and cramming just the right amount of information into 20 minutes, when I should have also been thinking about how our peers would perceive the delivery of information and the activities we asked them to do. While this may be easier with a small group, I'm not sure about the extent to which we can make all participants feel good and more knowledgable after a workshop. For example, while I know that some of our participants enjoyed the introspective writing exercise we had them do, I'm sure that there were others who hated it and don't enjoy that sort of introspective thinking in general. How do you strike a balance between so many different types of personalities in your audience?

    ReplyDelete