Tuesday, March 14, 2017

9. Adults Can Have Fun Too: On the Joy of Experimentation

The majority of class time last week was devoted to experimenting with 3D printers, and wow, was it exciting! I truly enjoyed learning and experimenting with the simple, 3D modeling sites that would produce an .stl file to be printed. Even though my initial task was a simple one, create a luggage tag, I was impressed upon how much time went into crafting every detail of this digital object. I remember feeling a bit panicked that I was being outpaced by my classmates, as I took my time learning the mechanics of Tinkercad (one wrong click and the dimensions of your project would be completely off) so I could better navigate it while creating my 3D rendering of a luggage tag. Investing that time, however, makes the printing process that much more enjoyable. When I was finally ready to print my newly minted .stl file, I walked over to an available printer and uploaded the file to the printing program, with almost near-certainty that the printer would break or the luggage tag would print it out wrong. Some disaster would ensue to ensure that this process of turning the digital into the physical could not possibly happen. And yet, the printer worked! I stared in wonderment as I saw the printer sketch out my design and structure its shape with filament. I was particularly impressed that things like the hole and the text of my name turnedout so well. Even though it was a relatively simple design, I felt immensely proud of this physical printed object because it was a tangible outcome of a somewhat arduous process. It made me want to further develop my 3D modeling skills so I could experience that joy of creation over and over again.

The wonder and joy I associated with 3D printing was a useful companion to this week’s readings, particularly Innocent Experiments. In the book’s opening chapters, Rebecca Onion makes the case that American culture is particularly obsessed with ensuring that children perceive science as “cool” and “fun” by overtly promoting scientific experiments as play. Onion states that “adults have promoted science to children as a matter of simple enjoyment, stripped of its moral valence by the association with innocent childhood play…[denying] both the difficulties of science practice and the complexities of science’s operations within society.” [1] As a child that endured the “science is fun and cool!” onslaught, I appreciate the insight that Onion brings to this phenomenon. Cultural figures like Bill Nye the Science Guy are forever emblazoned in our generational imaginations when we remember how science was presented as both wacky and important. These approaches were obviously meant to funnel children into considering a scientific career, as the acronym STEM entered the educational discourse and began to dictate funding (my high school finally started to adequately fund our science program once STEM became part of the lexicon). Sites like the Science Museum of Minnesota amplified this message by considering the spatial design and exhibit curation for those belonging to the “short-legged humanity.” [2] I always forget when I visit that the Science Museum is mostly intended for children and that it feels different as a curious adult to wander through exhibits that seem tailored to children, but still impart valuable information I don’t usually encounter in my daily life. The fact that American popular discourse often doesn’t consider the wonder of scientific discovery and playful experimentation as adults really speaks to our intentions with science promotion and our separation (or silo-ing) of childhood and adulthood.

I think the idea of discovering science through playful experimentation is a good one, but I don’t think it should be constrained to children exclusively. The wonder and joy of 3D printing that I found last week could be applied to different scientific phenomenon by hands-on experimentation. For this reason, I somewhat disagree with Kristin’s view that maker faires should be like state fairs rather than science fairs. Despite how much I love the Great Minnesota Get-Together, the activities that the fair promotes often involve consumption or observing. I think a hybrid of the science fair and the state fair would allow a certain depth and participation that would bring out the joy of experimentation in all its forms.

--
[1] Onion, Rebecca. Innocent Experiments: Childhood and the Culture of Popular Science in the United States. (Chapel Hill: The University of North Carolina Press, 2016): p. 16.

[2] Onion, Innocent Experiments, p. 24. 



No comments:

Post a Comment